Wheat Bran Muffins
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat twelve 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with cooking spray or line with paper bake cups; coat bake cups with cooking spray. Set pan aside.
- In a small bowl combine the boiling water and butter, stirring until butter is melted. Stir in 1/2 cup of the wheat bran until moistened.
- In a medium bowl stir together the remaining 1 cup wheat bran, the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a large bowl combine egg, buttermilk, brown sugar, and vanilla. Stir the bran-butter mixture and the flour mixture into egg mixture just until moistened.
- If desired, fold Add-In(s) into batter. Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each three-fourths full. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean. Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from muffin cups; serve warm. If desired, serve with Chocolate-Hazelnut and Cherry Topping.
From the Test Kitchen
Date-Apple Muffins: For every 1 cup of batter, fold in 2 tablespoons chopped pitted dates and 2 tablespoons finely chopped, peeled apple.
Carrot-Raisin Muffins: For every 1 cup of batter, fold in 1/4 cup finely shredded carrot and 1/4 cup golden raisins.
Nutty Chocolate Chip Muffins: For every 1 cup of batter, fold in 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate pieces and 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans. If desired, sprinkle batter in muffin cups with additional chopped nuts, pressing lightly to adhere.
Chocolate-Hazelnut and Cherry Topping:
To serve, spread each warm muffin with 1 tablespoon chocolate-hazelnut spread, such as Nutella, and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon snipped dried cherries.
To Make Ahead:
Prepare as directed through Step 3. Divide batter among three 1-quart freezer bags or 1-cup airtight containers. Seal and freeze for up to 1 month. To serve, thaw one or more portions of batter at room temperature for 30 minutes, massaging bag(s) or stirring batter occasionally. Continue as directed in Step 4.
Nutrition Facts (Wheat Bran Muffins)
- Per serving:
- 196 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 26 mg chol. ,
- 349 mg sodium ,
- 35 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 15 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.