Weeknight Penne with Meaty Red Sauce and Greens
- Use a 6-qt. electric or stove-top pressure cooker. For electric cooker, use saute setting to cook meat, onion, and fennel seeds until meat is browned; for stove-top cooker, cook meat, onion, and fennel seeds directly in pot over medium-high heat until meat is browned.
- Add mushrooms to electric or stove-top cooker. Cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in wine, Italian seasoning, salt, and crushed red pepper. Bring to boiling. Stir in pasta; add tomatoes and broth.
- Lock lid in place. Set electric cooker on high pressure to cook 5 minutes. For stove-top cooker, bring up to pressure over medium-high heat according to manufacturer's directions; reduce heat enough to maintain steady (but not excessive) pressure. Cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- For electric and stove-top models, quickly release pressure according to manufacturer's directions. Open lid carefully.* Stir in kale; let stand, covered,10 minutes or just until wilted. Stir in basil. Top servings with cheese, black pepper, and additional basil. If desired, drizzle cheese with a little oil.
From the Test Kitchen
If pasta is not done, heat mixture in electric cooker to simmering on saute setting or bring mixture in stove-top cooker to simmering over medium heat. Cook 2 to 3 minutes more or until pasta is tender but still firm.
Nutrition Facts (Weeknight Penne with Meaty Red Sauce and Greens)
- Per serving:
- 439 kcal ,
- 10 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 54 mg chol. ,
- 599 mg sodium ,
- 56 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 8 g sugar ,
- 27 g pro.