- In a medium bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside.
- In another medium bowl beat eggs lightly; stir in milk, oil, and vanilla. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be slightly lumpy).
- Add batter to a preheated, lightly greased waffle baker according to manufacturer's directions (use a regular or Belgian waffle baker). Close lid quickly; do not open until done. Bake according to manufacturer's directions. When done, use a fork to lift waffle off grid. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
Next time try folding one of the following into the batter: 1/2 cup raisins or finely snipped dried fruit; 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries; 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts (toasted, if desired); 1/2 cup chopped banana; 1/2 cup crumbled cooked bacon; 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese; 1/4 cup shredded coconut; or 1/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate pieces.
Prepare as above, except reduce baking powder to 1 teaspoon and add 1/2 teaspoon baking soda. Substitute 2 cups buttermilk or sour milk for the milk.
Prepare as above, except decrease flour to 1 cup and add 1 cup cornmeal to the flour mixture.
Prepare as above, except increase flour to 2 cups; omit the sugar; and add 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves to the flour mixture. Add 2 tablespoons molasses to the egg mixture.
Prepare as above, except decrease flour to 1-1/2 cups, increase sugar to 1/4 cup, and add 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder to the flour mixture. Fold 1/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate pieces into the batter. (You may need to lightly coat the waffle baker with nonstick cooking spray between each waffle to prevent sticking.)
Per waffle: 216 cal., 12 g total fat (2 g sat. fat, 0 g trans fat), 38 mg chol., 136 mg sodium, 22 g carbo., 1 g fiber, 5 g pro.
Exchanges: 1 Starch, 0.5 Other Carbo., 2 fat
Nutrition Facts (Waffles)
- Per serving:
- 185 kcal ,
- 11 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 38 mg chol. ,
- 135 mg sodium ,
- 18 g carb. ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.