Vineyard Beet and Strawberry Salad
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a roasting pan combine beets, water, canola oil, and 1 tsp. of the kosher salt. Cover pan with foil. Roast 40 to 45 minutes or until tender; drain. Let cool. Peel and quarter.
- For dressing: In a blender combine 1/4 cup strawberries, the verjus, vinegar, pomegranate molasses, and remaining 1/4 tsp. kosher salt. Cover; process until smooth. Gradually add olive oil, blending until emulsified.
- Cut up remaining strawberries; arrange with beets and radishes in a serving bowl. To serve, drizzle with dressing; top with leeks.
From the Test Kitchen
Verjus, French for green juice, is made from the pressings of unripe grapes. It is milder and sweeter than vinegar. Find it at kj.com, or sub 2 Tbsp. grape juice and 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar.
Pomegranate molasses (aka concentrate) is a reduction of the fruit's juices. The chefs use the Carlo brand.
Trim and halve 1 leek or spring onion lengthwise; slice lengthwise. Rinse; pat dry. Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil over medium. Toss leeks in 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour; fry until crispy. Drain; salt to taste.
Nutrition Facts (Vineyard Beet and Strawberry Salad)
- Per serving:
- 256 kcal ,
- 19 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 12 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 159 mg sodium ,
- 21 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 13 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.