- In a baking dish place tofu. Place a second dish on top of the tofu and weight down with two or three cans of food. Chill for 2 hours; drain off liquid.
- For marinade, in a blender or small food processor combine lime juice, shallots, gingerroot, and garlic. Cover and blend or process until a loose paste forms. Transfer to a bowl. Add fish sauce and soy sauce, stirring to combine. Set aside half of the marinade for Melon and Cucumber Salad. To the remaining marinade add pressed tofu or chicken. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
- For charcoal grill, grill tofu on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through. (Or grill chicken for 12 to 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F), turning once halfway through grilling.)
- Split bread lengthwise; spread cut sides with butter. Top bread bottoms with Marinated Carrots and tofu. If desired, add jalapeno peppers and onion. Top with cilantro and bread tops. Serve with Melon and Cucumber Salad.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
- Place carrots in a clean jar with a tight-fitting lid. In a small saucepan stir together sugar, vinegar, and salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Cool for 10 minutes; pour over carrots in jar. Cool, cover, and chill for at least 2 hours.
Melon and Cucumber Salad
- In a large bowl combine the reserved marinade, the melon, cucumber, and a few shreds fresh basil. Cover and chill for 1 hour. Before serving add peanuts and, if desired, lime juice.
Nutrition Facts (Vietnamese Sandwiches)
- Per serving:
- 588 kcal ,
- 10 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 15 mg chol. ,
- 1964 mg sodium ,
- 105 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 21 g sugar ,
- 24 g pro.