Recipes and Cooking Very Ginger Cookies Be the first to rate & review! By BHG Test Kitchen BHG Test Kitchen The Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen has been in continuous operation for nearly 100 years, developing and testing practical, reliable recipes that readers can enjoy at home. The Test Kitchen team includes culinary specialists, food stylists, registered and licensed nutritionists, and other experts with Bachelor of Science degrees in food science, food and nutrition, or culinary arts. Together, the team tests more than 2,500 recipes, produces more than 2,500 food images, and creates more than 1,000 food videos each year in the state-of-the-art test kitchen. Learn about BHG's Editorial Process Updated on February 2, 2016 Print Rate It Share Share Tweet Pin Email Prep Time: 40 mins Chill Time: 1 hrs Cool Time: 1 mins Bake Time: 10 mins Total Time: 40 mins Yield: 48 cookies Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients 2 cup all-purpose flour 1 ½ teaspoon ground ginger 1 teaspoon baking soda 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon ¾ teaspoon salt ½ teaspoon ground cloves ½ cup finely snipped crystallized ginger ½ cup shortening ¼ cup butter, softened 1 cup packed light brown sugar 1 egg ¼ cup full-flavor molasses 1 teaspoon ginger juice* (optional) ¾ cup Ginger Sugar or granulated sugar Ginger Sugar ¾ cup granulated sugar ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh ginger Directions Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a large cookie sheet; set aside. In a medium bowl stir together flour, ground ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and cloves. Stir in crystallized ginger; set aside. In a large bowl combine shortening and butter. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar. Beat until combined, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and molasses until combined. Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour mixture and, if desired, ginger juice. Cover and chill about 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle. Place Ginger Sugar in a small bowl. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll balls in Ginger Sugar to coat. Place balls 1-1/2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are set. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; let cool. Ginger Sugar In a small bowl combine sugar and ginger. Let stand for 1 hour (sugar will clump slightly from moisture in ginger). Place mixture in a fine-mesh sieve set over a bowl; stir gently to separate sugar from ginger. Discard ginger. Makes 3/4 cup. *Tip: A garlic press works great to juice fresh ginger. Be careful to clean the press well before using so there isn't any garlic flavor mixing in with the ginger juice. Cut the ginger pieces to fit the press and juice them over a small bowl. Rate it Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 86 Calories 3g Fat 14g Carbs 1g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Calories 86 % Daily Value * Total Fat 3g 4% Cholesterol 7mg 2% Sodium 74mg 3% Total Carbohydrate 14g 5% Protein 1g *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.