Very Ginger Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a large cookie sheet; set aside. In a medium bowl stir together flour, ground ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and cloves. Stir in crystallized ginger; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine shortening and butter. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar. Beat until combined, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and molasses until combined. Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour mixture and, if desired, ginger juice. Cover and chill about 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- Place Ginger Sugar in a small bowl. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll balls in Ginger Sugar to coat. Place balls 1-1/2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are set. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; let cool.
From the Test Kitchen
A garlic press works great to juice fresh ginger. Be careful to clean the press well before using so there isn't any garlic flavor mixing in with the ginger juice. Cut the ginger pieces to fit the press and juice them over a small bowl.
- In a small bowl combine sugar and ginger. Let stand for 1 hour (sugar will clump slightly from moisture in ginger). Place mixture in a fine-mesh sieve set over a bowl; stir gently to separate sugar from ginger. Discard ginger. Makes 3/4 cup.
Nutrition Facts (Very Ginger Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 86 kcal ,
- 3 g fat
- 7 mg chol. ,
- 74 mg sodium ,
- 14 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 1 g pro.