Vegetables with Tofu
- In a small bowl cover shiitake mushrooms with warm water. Let soak for 30 minutes. Rinse and squeeze to drain thoroughly. Cut mushroom caps into thin slices. Discard stems. Set aside.
- Soak bean threads in enough warm water to cover for 30 minutes. Drain well. Cut into 3-inch lengths. Set aside.
- For sauce, in a small bowl stir together 3 tablespoons water, soy sauce, sugar, and sesame oil. Set aside.
- Pour cooking oil into a wok or 12-inch skillet. (Add more cooking oil as necessary during cooking.) Preheat over medium-high heat. Stir-fry cauliflower in hot oil for 2 minutes. Add carrots and onion; stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add fresh mushrooms; stir-fry for 1 minute. Add thawed green beans, bamboo shoots, shiitake mushrooms, and bean threads; stir-fry about 2 minutes more or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir sauce. Add sauce to the hot wok. Add tofu. Gently stir all ingredients together to coat with sauce. Cover and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more or until heated through. Serve immediately. Garnish with carrot roses and cilantro or parsley sprigs, if desired. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Soak mushrooms and bean threads; drain, cover and chill up to 4 hours. Prepare carrots, cauliflower and onions; cover and chill up to 4 hours. Prepare as above.
Nutrition Facts (Vegetables with Tofu)
- Per serving:
- 260 kcal ,
- 10 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 812 mg sodium ,
- 34 g carb. ,
- 13 g pro.