Vegetable Fajitas with Hot Pepper Cream Sauces
- For chipotle cream, in a small bowl combine half of the sour cream, half of the cilantro, and the chipotle peppers; chill until serving time.
- For poblano cream, in a small bowl combine remaining sour cream, remaining cilantro, and the poblano pepper; chill until serving time.
- Halve sweet peppers lengthwise; discard stems, membranes, and seeds. In a small bowl combine olive oil and Mexican seasoning; lightly brush cut sides of sweet peppers, onion, and eggplant with oil mixture. (Or place vegetables in a heavy, large plastic bag; add oil mixture. Seal bag; shake bag to coat vegetables.)
- Place vegetables on the rack of the grill directly over medium heat. Grill until tender, turning occasionally. (Allow 8 to 12 minutes for eggplant and sweet peppers and 12 to 14 minutes for onion.) Remove vegetables from grill; cool until easy to handle.
- Meanwhile, wrap tortillas in foil. Place tortillas on rack of the grill directly over medium heat. Grill about 8 minutes or until heated through.
- Cut sweet peppers into bite-size pieces; cut eggplant into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Separate onion into rings. Place all vegetables in a large serving bowl; toss lightly with salt. Serve vegetables in warm tortillas with chipotle cream, poblano cream, salsa, and, if desired, lime wedges. Makes 10 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
To secure onion slices during grilling, soak short wooden skewers in water for 20 minutes. Insert skewers into onion slices from the sides to the centers. The skewers will hold the rings together during grilling. Remove skewers after grilling, and separate onion slices into rings.
Nutrition Facts (Vegetable Fajitas with Hot Pepper Cream Sauces)
- Per serving:
- 117 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 6 mg chol. ,
- 216 mg sodium ,
- 13 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 2 g pro.