Recipes and Cooking Sweet Potato Spoon Bread 4.1 (46) Add your rating & review Spoonbread -- a pudding-like cornmeal casserole that hails from the early days of the American south -- is an economical accompaniment to any holiday meal. Key to spoonbread success is beating egg whites until nice and fluffy. So be sure to start with room-temperature egg whites; they'll provide about 25 percent more loft and volume than cold egg whites will. By BHG Test Kitchen BHG Test Kitchen The Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen has been in continuous operation for nearly 100 years, developing and testing practical, reliable recipes that readers can enjoy at home. The Test Kitchen team includes culinary specialists, food stylists, registered and licensed nutritionists, and other experts with Bachelor of Science degrees in food science, food and nutrition, or culinary arts. Together, the team tests more than 2,500 recipes, produces more than 2,500 food images, and creates more than 1,000 food videos each year in the state-of-the-art test kitchen. Learn about BHG's Editorial Process Published on November 1, 2011 Print Rate It Share Share Tweet Pin Email Photo: Peter Frank Edwards Prep Time: 25 mins Bake Time: 45 mins Bake Time: 35 mins Stand Time: 10 mins Total Time: 1 hrs 55 mins Servings: 8 Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients 4 tablespoon (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted 2 sweet potatoes (about 1 lb.) 2 ½ cup milk 1 tablespoon fresh thyme 1 tablespoon light brown sugar 2 teaspoon coarse sea salt ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 1 cup finely ground white or yellow cornmeal 4 eggs, separated 2 teaspoon baking powder Directions Preheat oven to 400°F. Generously grease a 2-quart soufflé or casserole dish with about 1 tablespoon of the butter; set aside. Wrap potatoes in foil. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until soft to the touch. Remove from oven; discard foil. When cool enough to handle, remove and discard peels. In a large bowl, mash potatoes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. In a large saucepan, bring milk, thyme, brown sugar, salt, and pepper to a low boil over medium heat. In a slow, steady stream, whisk cornmeal into milk mixture. Cook, whisking constantly, for 4 to 5 minutes, until mixture is thick and pulls away from bottom of pan. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Add potatoes, egg yolks, remaining 3 tablespoons butter, and baking powder to cornmeal mixture; stir to thoroughly combine. In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Leaving obvious swirls of egg white, gently fold egg whites into the potato-cornmeal mixture. Spoon batter into prepared dish. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until internal temperature reaches 165°F. Edges will be firm and the center a bit soft. Remove from oven. Let stand for 10 minutes. Serve warm. Tips This recipe can also be made in a 9X13 baking dish, then baked for 30 to 35 minutes, until internal temperature registers 165°F with an instant-read thermometer. Rate it Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 234 Calories 10g Fat 28g Carbs 8g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe 8 Calories 234 % Daily Value * Total Fat 10g 13% Saturated Fat 5g 25% Cholesterol 127mg 42% Sodium 576mg 25% Total Carbohydrate 28g 10% Total Sugars 7g Protein 8g Vitamin C 1.2mg 6% Calcium 201.9mg 16% Iron 1.4mg 8% Potassium 265mg 6% Folate, total 20.2mcg Vitamin B-12 0.7mcg Vitamin B-6 0.1mg *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.