Sweet Potato and Pear Swirls
- Peel and quarter sweet potatoes. Cook potatoes, covered, in a small amount of boiling lightly salted water for 25 to 35 minutes or until tender. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, melt margarine or butter in a medium skillet. Add pears; cook, covered, over medium heat until very tender, stirring occasionally.
- Combine potatoes, pear mixture, and cinnamon in a bowl; beat with an electric mixer on low speed. Cool slightly.
- With electric mixer running on low speed, beat egg into cooled mixture. Using a decorating bag with a large star tip, pipe mixture into 12 rounds (about 1/3 cup each) onto a greased 15x10x1-inch baking pan, building up edges slightly. (Or, spoon into 12 rounds on baking pan, using back of a tablespoon to make a slight indentation in center of each.) Cover and chill overnight, if desired.
- Before serving, drop a scant teaspoon of Praline Topping on each round. Bake in a 375 degree F oven about 15 minutes or until potatoes are light brown and heated through. Makes 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare rounds and freeze until firm. Transfer frozen potatoes to a freezer container; freeze for up to 1 month. To serve frozen rounds, place on a greased baking sheet. Drop a scant teaspoon of Praline Topping on each round. Bake in a 375 degree F oven about 20 minutes or until potatoes are light brown and heated through.
- Stir together brown sugar, butter, and half-and-half or light cream in a small mixing bowl. Stir in broken pecans.
Nutrition Facts (Sweet Potato and Pear Swirls)
- Per serving:
- 149 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 23 mg chol. ,
- 54 mg sodium ,
- 22 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 2 g pro.