Spinach and Pasta Rolls
- Place frozen lasagna sheets on a baking sheet; cover with plastic wrap and let stand to thaw for 30 minutes. Drain. Set aside.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan combine milk, cornstarch, and nutmeg. Cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Remove from heat. Stir in the 1 tablespoon snipped basil and the Parmesan cheese. Reserve 1/3 cup of the sauce.
- For filling, cook spinach according to package directions. Drain well, pressing out excess liquid with the back of a spoon. In a medium mixing bowl stir together the egg, ricotta cheese, cream cheese, and green onion. Add the spinach and reserved sauce; mix well. Set aside.
- To assemble, place a thawed lasagna sheet on a work surface. Spoon about one-third of the cheese mixture over the sheet. Starting from the short edge, roll up, jelly-roll style. Cut crosswise into 6 pieces. Spray a 2-quart rectangular baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place pasta rolls, seam sides down, in dish. Repeat with remaining lasagna sheets. Pour remaining sauce over rolls.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until heated through. If desired, top with basil and tomatoes. Makes 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Or, use 12 regular lasagna noodles; cook according to package directions. Place a halved noodle on a work surface. Spoon a scant 1/4 cup of cheese mixture onto the noodle. Roll up, jelly-roll style. Repeat with remaining noodles.
Prepare and assemble rolls as directed above. Cover and chill for up to 24 hours. Bake, covered, for 50 to 55 minutes, or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts (Spinach and Pasta Rolls)
- Per serving:
- 211 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 62 mg chol. ,
- 324 mg sodium ,
- 20 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 18 g pro.