Sauteed Green Beans with Shallot Crisps
- In 6-inch skillet heat oil over medium-high heat.* Using a slotted spoon, add half the shallots. Fry 3 to 4 minutes, until crisp and dark golden brown. Remove from oil; drain on double-thickness of paper towels. Cook remaining shallots. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in large pot cook beans, covered, in enough boiling water to cover for 6 to 8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and submerse in ice water to cool quickly; drain well.
- Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter and oil, swirling to coat skillet. Add beans. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until beans are heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl and top with shallot crisps. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Test oil by adding 1 shallot slice to oil. When oil sizzles without spattering and shallot is golden, the oil is ready.
Shallots may be prepared up to 2 hours ahead.
Nutrition Facts (Sauteed Green Beans with Shallot Crisps)
- Per serving:
- 100 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 4 mg chol. ,
- 18 mg sodium ,
- 10 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.