Make-Ahead Herb Buttered Mashed Potatoes
- Prepare Herbed Butter. Cover and chill at least 3 hours to allow flavors to blend. Let half-and-half stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, place potatoes in a 4-quart Dutch oven with enough lightly salted water to cover. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and cook for 25 minutes or until potatoes are very tender.
- Drain potatoes. Return to pan with half-and-half, Herbed Butter, and the 1 teaspoon salt. Using a large wooden or other sturdy spoon, carefully stir potatoes, smashing lightly by pressing potato pieces against the side of the pan with the back of the spoon, leaving mixture slightly chunky. Makes 8 to 10 (3/4-cup) servings.
- Place prepared potatoes in a covered 1-1/2- to 2-quart casserole. Place covered casserole in a 12-inch skillet with 1-inch of simmering water. Hold over very low heat up to 2 hours.
From the Test Kitchen
Test Kitchen Tip:
To soften butter before making Herbed Butter and to soften the Herbed Butter before adding to potatoes, let stand at room temperature for 1 hour or place in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on 100% power (high) for 10 to 15 seconds, watching carefully so the butter does not melt.
- In a small bowl stir together 1/2 cup butter, softened; 1 tablespoon snipped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley; 2 teaspoons snipped fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed; 2 teaspoons snipped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed; and 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper until well combined. Cover and chill at least 3 hours before using to allow flavors to blend. Chill butter up to 1 week or place in an airtight freezer container and freeze up to 3 months. Thaw before using. Makes 1/2 cup.
Nutrition Facts (Make-Ahead Herb Buttered Mashed Potatoes)
- Per serving:
- 248 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 41 mg chol. ,
- 397 mg sodium ,
- 26 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.