- In a small bowl combine yeast and warm water. Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in honey and the 1 tablespoon olive oil. In a large bowl combine whole wheat flour, cornmeal, and salt. Stir in yeast mixture. Stir in as much of the all-purpose flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape dough in a ball; cover and let rise until nearly double (30 to 45 minutes).
- Meanwhile, prepare spinach pesto. In a food processor bowl place spinach, basil, garlic, Parmesan cheese, the 1/3 cup olive oil, and lemon juice. Cover and process to a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Punch down dough; let rest for 10 minutes. On a lightly floured surface roll dough to a 12-inch round or 10-inch square. Transfer to greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes or until browned. Top with pesto sauce, pepperoni, and cheese. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes more or until bubbly. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Square meal Pizza:
Reserve a small portion of dough; shape in two 10-inch ropes. Brush one side of each rope with water; lay brushed side on unbaked crust to divide in quarters. Partially bake crust. Top each square with different toppings. Bake as directed.
Each topping (below) covers an entire pizza. If dividing the pizza in four small squares, use only one-fourth topping in each portion. Bake as directed in Good-For-You Pizza.
Chicken, Apple, Cheddar:
Spread partially baked crust with a mixture of 1/3 cup peanut butter and 1/3 cup sour cream. Top with 1 cup shredded rotisserie chicken, thinly sliced apples, and 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese. Bake as directed.
Spread partially baked crust with 1 cup refried beans (thin with salsa, if necessary), 1 cup soy crumbles or cooked ground beef, and 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese. Bake. Top with shredded lettuce and salsa.
Spread partially baked crust with pesto. Top with 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered, and 8 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, cubed. Bake.
Spread partially baked crust with one 8-oz. can pizza sauce. Top with one 15-1/4-oz. can pineapple tidbits, drained; 1 cup chopped Canadian bacon; and 8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake.
Nutrition Facts (Good-For-You Pizza)
- Per serving:
- 261 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 19 mg chol. ,
- 356 mg sodium ,
- 24 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 9 g pro.