Artichokes Stuffed with Feta Cheese
- Wash artichokes; trim stems and remove loose outer leaves. Cut off 1 inch from each top; snip off the sharp leaf tips. Brush cut edges with a little lemon juice.
- Place a steamer basket in a large saucepan. Add water to just below the bottom of the steamer basket. Bring to boiling. Add artichokes. Cover and reduce heat. Steam for 20 to 25 minutes or until a leaf pulls out easily. Drain artichokes upside down on paper towels. When cool, halve each artichoke lengthwise. Pull out center leaves and scrape out choke; discard choke. Place artichoke halves in a plastic bag set in a deep bowl.
- For marinade, in a small mixing bowl combine the 3 tablespoons lemon juice, olive oil or salad oil, 1 tablespoon water, and oregano. Pour over artichokes in bag. Close bag and turn artichokes to coat well. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 8 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl combine bulgur, salt, and the 1 cup hot water; let stand for 1 hour. Drain well, pressing out excess water. Combine the drained bulgur, chopped tomato, feta cheese, and parsley. Cover and chill thoroughly.
- To serve, drain artichokes, reserving marinade. Place artichoke halves, cut side up, on a serving platter of shredded lettuce. Stir marinade into bulgur mixture. Spoon some of the bulgur mixture into each artichoke half. Place any additional bulgur mixture in a bowl and serve with artichokes. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Chill artichokes and filling, separately, up to 8 hours. Serve as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Artichokes Stuffed with Feta Cheese)
- Per serving:
- 200 kcal ,
- 10 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 12 mg chol. ,
- 356 mg sodium ,
- 24 g carb. ,
- 7 g pro.