- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl combine egg yolks, the 3/4 cup bread crumbs, the onion, basil, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Add ground veal; mix well. Shape mixture into four meatballs. Press one of the cheese cubes into the center of each meatball; reshape to completely enclose cheese.
- Place the beaten egg in a shallow dish. Place the 1-1/4 cups bread crumbs in another shallow dish. Gently roll each meatball in egg, then in bread crumbs until well coated.
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add meatballs; cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until browned, turning occasionally. Drain off fat.
- Transfer meatballs to a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake about 20 minutes or until meatballs are done (160 degrees F).** If desired, sprinkle with shredded cheese before serving.
From the Test Kitchen
To make 2 cups soft bread crumbs for this recipe, start with 3 slices bread. Tear bread into pieces and place in a food processor. Cover and process until soft crumbs form. Measure crumbs as needed.
To check doneness of the meatballs, insert an instant-read thermometer into a meatball to a depth of 1 inch. Be careful not to pierce the cheese in the middle.
Nutrition Facts (Veal Polpettone)
- Per serving:
- 500 kcal ,
- 29 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 13 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 320 mg chol. ,
- 945 mg sodium ,
- 14 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 44 g pro.