Vanilla & Chocolate Conchas
- In a large bowl combine the warm water, yeast, and 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar. Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Place 3 1/2 cups flour on a clean working surface; make a well in center. Pour in yeast mixture, remaining 3/4 cup sugar, the eggs and salt. Using your fingers, mix until dough comes together. (Dough will be very sticky; use remaining 1/4 cup flour and a dough scraper to help knead until you have a well-formed dough ball.)
- Add 3 Tbsp. butter; knead until elastic and very smooth, about 10 minutes. Grease a large bowl with olive oil; place dough in the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise about 1 hour.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface. Divide into twelve 2-inch pieces (each will be about 3 oz.). Roll into balls.
- Place balls on two greased baking sheets. Cover with plastic; let rise until double in size, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile for sugar topping, in a large bowl combine 1 cup flour, the powdered sugar, and 8 Tbsp. butter. Mix with hands until a moist dough forms. Divide in half. Add cocoa powder to one half; mix until well incorporated. Divide the plain and chocolate dough into six balls each. Flatten to a 1/4-inch-thick disk; place on each concha.
- Using a sharp knife cut through sugar topping. Flatten each concha slightly; let rise 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake 20 minutes or until puffed and edges are golden.
Nutrition Facts (Vanilla & Chocolate Conchas)
- Per serving:
- 403 kcal ,
- 13 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 90 mg chol. ,
- 125 mg sodium ,
- 63 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 24 g sugar ,
- 8 g pro.
brownhairandsmart 635 Days Ago
The recipe tasted great and rose well, however the sugar/flour tops never became 'wet dough'. It was an awful crumbling mess, forget about carving cute shell designs. Also, why would you add the chocolate (a dry ingredient) to a an already crumbling mess of a dough, and not add more moisture?! It was such a mess! Tadty, but a total, pain in butt, mess.