Vanilla-Cardamom Affogato with Candied Pecans
- In a 2-qt. saucepan heat cream, milk, cardamom pods, and vanilla bean over medium heat just until beginning to boil. Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine egg yolks and sugar. Gradually stir about 1/2 cup of the hot mixture into yolk mixture; return to remaining hot mixture in saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat 2 minutes more or until mixture coats the back of a spoon (180 degrees F). Remove from heat. Stir in honey. Transfer to a bowl; cool 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cover surface with plastic wrap; chill overnight.
- Strain egg mixture through a fine-mesh sieve. Scrape any remaining vanilla bean seeds into mixture; discard vanilla bean* and cardamom pods. Freeze mixture in a 1 1/2- to 2-qt. ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's directions until consistency of soft-serve (20 to 25 minutes). Transfer to an airtight container and freeze at least 4 hours or until firm.
- Top servings with hot espresso and Candied Pecans.
From the Test Kitchen
In a large skillet heat 1/4 cup sugar, 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter, 2 tsp. water, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. ground cardamom over medium-high heat until bubbly, stirring frequently. Stir in 3/4 cup chopped pecans. Cook 6 minutes or until nuts are glazed and golden, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. If desired, stir in 2 Tbsp. cocoa nibs. Spread on a sheet of parchment paper or foil or a silicone baking mat to cool. Coarsely chop nuts. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week. Makes about 1 1/4 cups.
The addition of honey helps ice cream stay scoopable after freezing, rather than rock-hard. Add it after cooking the custard (otherwise, the milk mixture will curdle). Waiting to strain the mixture until you're ready to churn gives the vanilla and cardamom extra time to infuse their flavors into the mix.
For vanilla sugar, thoroughly dry the vanilla bean halves and insert into a jar of sugar. Let stand 1 to 2 weeks before using.
Nutrition Facts (Vanilla-Cardamom Affogato with Candied Pecans)
- Per serving:
- 430 kcal ,
- 35 g fat
- (17 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 12 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 213 mg chol. ,
- 186 mg sodium ,
- 27 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 25 g sugar ,
- 6 g pro.