- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. For meat sauce, in a Dutch oven cook sausage, onion, green pepper, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and a dash black pepper over medium-high heat until meat is brown and onion is tender, adding half of the garlic the last 3 minutes of cooking. Drain off fat.
- Add marinara sauce to meat mixture in Dutch oven. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Remove from heat; stir in basil and oregano. Set aside.
- In a very large bowl combine zucchini, eggplant, olive oil, the remaining garlic, the remaining salt, and half of the rosemary; toss to combine. Spread vegetable mixture evenly in a roasting pan. Roast, uncovered, for 14 minutes or just until tender, stirring occasionally; set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F. In a medium bowl stir together Alfredo pasta sauce, Parmesan cheese, and the remaining rosemary; set aside.
- To assemble, spread 1/2 cup of the meat sauce lengthwise down half of a 3-quart rectangular baking dish; spread 1/2 cup of the Alfredo sauce down the other side of the dish, trying to keep a clean divide down the center. Arrange four of the noodles on top of the sauces, overlapping as needed. On the meat-sauce side of the dish, spread 1 cup of the meat sauce. On the Alfredo-sauce side, arrange one-fourth of the roasted vegetables; top with one-fourth of the tomato slices; spread 1/3 cup of the Alfredo sauce over the vegetables; top with one-fourth of the mozzarella balls. Repeat the layers until sauces, vegetables, and mozzarella balls are gone. The vegetable side will be taller at this point. It will even out more as it bakes.
- Sprinkle the smoked mozzarella over the meat-sauce side of the dish. Cover with foil coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake about 10 more minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. If desired, sprinkle with arugula and/or pine nuts.
From the Test Kitchen
To make a whole lasagna with either the meat sauce or vegetables, simply double the ingredients for that side and assemble over the whole dish.
Nutrition Facts (Two-In-One Lasagna)
- Per serving:
- 465 kcal ,
- 29 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 9 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 103 mg chol. ,
- 1085 mg sodium ,
- 32 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 9 g sugar ,
- 18 g pro.