Two-Bean Enchilada Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 2-quart rectangular baking dish with cooking spray. For sauce, in a small saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth. Stir in the next six ingredients (through cinnamon). Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more.
- In a medium bowl combine the next five ingredients (through onion).
- To assemble, spread 1/3 cup of the sauce in prepared baking dish. Top with three of the tortillas, one-third of the bean mixture, one-third of the remaining sauce, and 2/3 cup of the cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining tortillas, bean mixture, and sauce.
- Bake, covered, 35 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 2/3 cup cheese. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes more or until cheese is melted. If desired, top with lettuce, tomato, and/or olives.
From the Test Kitchen
Get a little more heat with a poblano chile pepper instead of the green sweet pepper.
Nutrition Facts (Two-Bean Enchilada Casserole)
- Per serving:
- 323 kcal ,
- 11 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 32 mg chol. ,
- 433 mg sodium ,
- 38 g carb. ,
- 10 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 19 g pro.
mswuni 172 Days Ago
The sauce was odd tasting. I tried it twice but it just wasn't right. I finally gave up and used a good brand of enchilada sauce that I had in the cupboard. It's ok, quick and easy but after throwing out two batches of sauce, not such a budget dish.
cneuhaus5 198 Days Ago
3 stars, good & tasty, easy to make, good lenten dinner, just have a couple similar ones. Good with sour cream. Microwave bean mixture to heat up & save 10 minutes bake time if you're in a hurry.