Twice-Baked Pesto Mashed Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Scrub potatoes thoroughly with a brush; pat dry. Prick potatoes with a fork. Bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until tender. Remove from oven; let stand for 10 minutes. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop out potato pulp, leaving 1/4-inch shells; place pulp in a medium bowl. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Mash potato pulp with a potato masher or an electric mixer on low speed. Add pesto, 1/4 cup of the cheese, and the milk; beat until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon the mashed potato mixture into the potato shells. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
- Place filled potato shells in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with pine nuts. Bake about 10 minutes more or until nuts are toasted.
From the Test Kitchen
Want extra protein? Mash a cup of cannellini beans (white kidney beans) with the potatoes. No Pecorino-Romano? Try Parmesan.
To Make Ahead
Prepare as directed through Step 2. Transfer potatoes to an airtight container; cover. Chill for up to 24 hours. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Continue as directed, except bake potatoes for 30 minutes before adding pine nuts.
Nutrition Facts (Twice-Baked Pesto Mashed Potatoes)
- Per serving:
- 271 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 13 mg chol. ,
- 377 mg sodium ,
- 33 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 8 g pro.