Mini Turkey Meatballs
- In a small bowl stir together the egg, applesauce, sweet potato, green onions, salt, and pepper.
- In a large bowl combine turkey and bread crumbs. Fold egg mixture into turkey mixture; mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours. (This step is important for the bread crumbs to absorb moisture and flavor.)
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Shape turkey mixture in 1-inch diameter balls. Place meatballs on a foil-lined 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until no pink remains (170 degrees F).
- Serve meatballs with spaghetti and sauce or as a pizza topper.
From the Test Kitchen
For easy shaping, turn the turkey mixture onto waxed paper. Pat it into a 9x8-inch rectangle, then cut 36 equal-size squares. Roll the squares into balls. Or shape meatballs by using a small cookie scoop, occasionally dipping the scoop in water to prevent the meat from sticking.
Make a big batch of meatballs, cook them all, and freeze some for later. To freeze some, place meatballs in a single layer on a baking sheet or tray. Place them in the freezer for several hours, then pack them in resealable freezer bags, squeezing out excess air. Label and date the bag. Freeze and use within 2 months. To serve the frozen cooked meatballs, heat them in a nonstick skillet over medium heat for 5 to 8 minutes. To use, place desired number of meatballs in a nonstick skillet. Heat over medium heat for 5 to 8 minutes or until heated through
Nutrition Facts (Mini Turkey Meatballs)
- Per serving:
- 132 kcal ,
- 2 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 0 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 72 mg chol. ,
- 299 mg sodium ,
- 8 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 20 g pro.