Maple-Tarragon Glazed Turkey
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Rinse turkey; pat dry with paper towels. Place two or three fresh tarragon sprigs into body cavity (if using dry tarragon, rub into cavity). Pull neck skin to back; fasten with skewer. Tuck ends of drumsticks under band of skin across tail. If there is no band of skin, tie drumsticks to tail. Twist wing tips under back.
- Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Brush with the melted butter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Insert an oven-going meat thermometer into center of an inside thigh muscle (dont let thermometer touch bone). Loosely cover turkey with foil.
- Roast turkey until thermometer registers 160 degrees F (2 to 2-1/2 hours). Meanwhile, prepare Maple-Tarragon Glaze.
- When thermometer registers 160 degrees F, remove foil and cut band of skin or string between drumsticks so thighs cook evenly. Add quartered oranges to roasting pan; brush orange wedges and turkey with half of the glaze. Roast for 30 minutes more.
- Add grapes to roasting pan; brush fruit and turkey with remaining glaze. Roast about 15 minutes more or until thermometer registers 180 degrees F. (The juices should run clear and drumsticks should move easily in their sockets.)
- Remove turkey from oven; discard drippings. Transfer turkey to a serving platter. Cover turkey with foil; let stand for 15 to 20 minutes before carving. Arrange turkey on a platter with roasted oranges and grapes. If desired, garnish with additional fresh tarragon.
From the Test Kitchen
Plating a Carved Turkey:
Remove the whole legs first by pulling them away from the body of the turkey; cut loose the joints that hold the thighs to the body. Place on a cutting board and cut the drumsticks from the thighs at the joints. Place drumsticks on a serving platter. Hold one thigh firmly with a meat fork and cut slices away from the bone. Repeat with remaining thigh. Arrange slices on the platter. Hold the turkey firmly with the meat fork and carve each breast lobe away from the rib cage. Slice each lobe and arrange on platter. Cut wings away from the body, cutting at the joints, and arrange with the rest of the turkey on the platter.
- In a medium saucepan combine fresh tarragon or dried tarragon, orange peel, orange juice, maple syrup, tarragon vinegar, dry mustard, salt, and pepper. Bring to boiling, stirring frequently (watch carefully as mixture will bubble up); reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, for 30 to 35 minutes or until mixture reaches a glazing consistency, stirring occasionally. (You should have about 1 cup).