Indonesian Sate with Peanut Sauce
- Place cubed meat and turkey in a heavy, large self-sealing plastic bag set in a shallow bowl. For marinade, in a medium bowl combine coconut milk, onion, garlic, dry mustard, coriander, turmeric, salt, and cumin. Pour over meat and turkey. Seal bag; turn to coat meat and turkey. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Soak wooden skewers in enough water to cover for 30 minutes; drain. Drain meat and turkey, reserving marinade. On soaked skewers, alternately thread meat, turkey, and green onion pieces, leaving about 1/4 inch space between pieces.
- Grill kabobs on rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 12 to 16 minutes or until beef and lamb are done and turkey is no longer pink, turning once halfway through grilling and brushing with reserved marinade during first 6 minutes of grilling. Discard any remaining marinade. Serve kabobs with Peanut Sauce. If desired, garnish plates with sugarcane. Makes 10 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
To grill sugarcane, saw the cane into 2- to 3-inch sections, then very carefully split each section lengthwise with a sharp knife. Coat open side lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Grill, split sides down, on rack of uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In a covered small saucepan cook green onions and garlic, minced, in chicken broth or beef broth about 2 minutes or until green onion is tender. Stir in soy sauce, finely shredded lemon peel, lemon juice, chili powder, and brown sugar. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in peanut butter and grated fresh ginger or ground ginger. Let mixture gently heat through; do not boil. If desired, thin sauce with a little purchased unsweetened coconut milk. Let cool to room temperature before serving.
Nutrition Facts (Indonesian Sate with Peanut Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 126 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 43 mg chol. ,
- 223 mg sodium ,
- 3 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 16 g pro.