Coconut Turkey Spears
- Soak skewers in water for 30 minutes.
- Stir together coconut milk, toasted coconut, and brown sugar in a small bowl. Divide mixture in half. Stir green curry paste into one half of the mixture; cover and refrigerate until serving time. Stir red curry paste into remaining coconut mixture; cover and refrigerate until serving time.
- Rub turkey or chicken strips with five-spice powder and salt. Place between 2 sheets of clear plastic wrap, if desired. Using the flat end of a mallet, gently pound strips to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Thread pounded strips lengthwise onto soaked bamboo skewers. Keep strips straight; do not weave. Brush turkey with oil.
- Place skewers on the rack of the grill directly over medium-high heat. Grill for 8 to 10 minutes or until juices just run clear, turning once. Serve with the coconut-curry sauces and lime halves. Makes 4 appetizer servings.
From the Test Kitchen
To make your own five-spice powder: In a blender container combine 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon, 6 whole star anise, or 2 teaspoons anise seed, 1-1/2 teaspoons fennel seed, 1 to 2 whole dried chili peppers, and 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves. Cover and blend spices to a fine powder. Store in a tightly covered container for up to 2 months. Makes 1/4 cup.
Nutrition Facts (Coconut Turkey Spears)
- Per serving:
- 214 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 51 mg chol. ,
- 382 mg sodium ,
- 4 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 21 g pro.