Turkey Farro Salad with Candied Chickpeas
- Rinse chickpeas. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven combine chickpeas and 4 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, for 1 hour. (Or place chickpeas and water in pan. Cover and let soak in the refrigerator overnight.) Drain and rinse chickpeas and return to pan. Add fresh water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until chickpeas are very tender, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Drain and rinse beans, then spread on a kitchen towel to dry thoroughly. Line a shallow baking pan with parchment paper and spread beans in a single layer in pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of the oil, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper; stir to coat beans evenly. Roast for 50 minutes or until amber colored, stirring twice for even browning. Remove and cool in pan.
- Sprinkle poultry seasoning and 1/2 teaspoon salt over turkey. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil and add turkey. Cook for 30 to 35 minutes or until done (165 degrees F), turning occasionally to brown evenly.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan bring farro and broth to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender but chewy. Drain off any liquid; cool.
- Pour vinegar into a large bowl. Whisk in remaining 6 tablespoons oil in a thin, steady stream until blended and thickened. Whisk in 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Transfer turkey to dressing in bowl and toss to coat. Cool 5 minutes. Remove turkey to a cutting board and slice, reserving dressing in bowl.
- Add apples, greens, and romaine to dressing; toss to coat. Transfer salad to a platter or plates. Arrange turkey, farro, and chickpeas over greens. Top with clementines, cranberries, and cheese.
From the Test Kitchen
To use canned beans, skip step 1. Drain and rinse 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas; pat dry and continue as directed in step 2.
Place candied chickpeas in a covered container. Chill for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Facts (Turkey Farro Salad with Candied Chickpeas)
- Per serving:
- 407 kcal ,
- 17 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 0 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 28 mg chol. ,
- 642 mg sodium ,
- 42 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 17 g sugar ,
- 23 g pro.