Turkey Breast Stuffed with Sausage, Fennel, and Figs
- Remove bone from turkey.* Place each turkey breast, skin side down, between two pieces of plastic wrap. Using the flat side of a meat mallet and working from the center to the edges, pound lightly to an even thickness. Discard plastic wrap. Sprinkle turkey breasts evenly with the 1/2 teaspoon salt and the 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- For stuffing, remove casings from sausage, if present. In a medium bowl combine sausage, onions, figs, and fennel seeds. Lay one breast, skin side down, on a work surface. Spoon stuffing on turkey; top with the second breast, skin side up. Tie in several places with heavy 100-percent-cotton kitchen string or secure with metal skewers. Rub oil over skin; sprinkle with the 1/4 teaspoon salt and the 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above pan. Place turkey on grill rack over pan. Cover and grill for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until turkey is no longer pink (170 degrees F) and center of stuffing registers 165 degrees F. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking. Place turkey on grill rack over the burner that is turned off. Grill as directed.)
- Remove turkey from grill. Cover with foil; let stand for 10 minutes before carving.
From the Test Kitchen
You may want to ask the butcher to remove the turkey breast bones for you.
Nutrition Facts (Turkey Breast Stuffed with Sausage, Fennel, and Figs)
- Per serving:
- 364 kcal ,
- 18 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 9 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 119 mg chol. ,
- 577 mg sodium ,
- 8 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 41 g pro.