Tuna and Veggie Salad with Ginger-Horseradish Vinaigrette
- For vinaigrette, in a small screw-top jar combine oil, vinegar, shallot, ginger, horseradish, salt, and black pepper. Cover and shake well.
- In a large bowl combine tuna, sweet pepper, radishes, pea pods, carrot, green onions, and jalapeno pepper. Drizzle with vinaigrette;* toss gently to coat (avoid breaking up the tuna chunks as much as possible).
- To serve, divide tuna mixture among dinner plates. Top with hard-cooked eggs, cilantro, and sesame seeds.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
To Serve Salad in Cabbage "Cups:"
Rinse 4 red cabbage leaves and pat dry with paper towels. Spoon the tuna mixture into cabbage leaf "cups." Top with hard-cooked eggs, cilantro, and sesame seeds.
Nutrition analysis per serving: same as above except 258 calories, 22 g protein, 11 g carbohydrate, 6 g total sugar, 107% Vitamin A, 139% Vitamin C, 492 mg sodium, 5% calcium, 11% iron
To Serve Salad with Rice Noodles:
When preparing the tuna mixture, drizzle with only half of the vinaigrette. Cook 4 ounces dried thin rice noodles or vermicelli according to package directions; drain. In a large bowl combine cooked noodles and the remaining vinaigrette; toss to coat. Divide the noodles among chilled large martini glasses, winding noodles into nests. Top with tuna mixture, hard-cooked eggs, cilantro, and sesame seeds.
Nutrition analysis per serving: same as above except 354 calories, 22 g protein, 32 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 538 mg sodium, 5% calcium, 11% iron
Nutrition Facts (Tuna and Veggie Salad with Ginger-Horseradish Vinaigrette)
- Per serving:
- 251 kcal ,
- 14 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 131 mg chol. ,
- 486 mg sodium ,
- 9 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 21 g pro.