Tri-Tip Roast with Grilled Avocados
- In a large bowl, soak wood chips in enough water to cover for 1 hour. For the rub, in a small bowl combine the 1 tablespoon salt, the garlic, onion powder, pepper, and parsley flakes.
- Trim fat from roast. Place roast in a shallow dish. Generously sprinkle rub evenly over all sides of the roast; rub in with your fingers.
- For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Drain wood chips and sprinkle over the coals. Test for medium heat above pan. Place roast on grill rack over pan. Cover and grill to desired doneness, turning once halfway through grilling and brushing with the Red Wine Vinegar Baste three times during the first 30 minutes of grilling.* Allow 35 to 40 minutes for medium-rare (135 degrees F) or 40 to 45 minutes for medium (150 degrees F). (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking. Add wood chips according to the manufacturer's directions. Place roast on grill rack over the burner that is turned off. Grill as above.) Discard any remaining Red Wine Vinegar Baste.
- Remove roast from grill. Cover roast with foil; let stand for 15 minutes. The temperature of meat after standing should be 145 degrees F for medium-rare or 160 degrees F for medium. To serve, cut roast diagonally against the grain.
- In a small bowl combine oil and lemon juice; brush over cut sides of avocados. Sprinkle with additional salt. While roast stands, grill avocado halves about 10 minutes or until grill marks form, turning once halfway through grilling. Remove and keep warm. Slice avocados; serve with sliced roast.
From the Test Kitchen
Red Wine Vinegar Baste
In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, 1/4 cup olive oil, and 1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic.
*Test Kitchen Tip:
If desired, after turning roast insert an oven-going meat thermometer into center of roast and brush with Red Wine Vinegar Baste; continue to brush frequently with the baste until meat thermometer registers 120 degrees F. Continue to grill until desired doneness.
Nutrition Facts (Tri-Tip Roast with Grilled Avocados)
- Per serving:
- 511 kcal ,
- 39 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 24 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 98 mg chol. ,
- 1131 mg sodium ,
- 8 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 0 g sugar ,
- 33 g pro.