Tres Leches Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and lightly flour a 10-inch springform pan;* set aside.
- In an extra-large bowl combine cake mix, eggs, butter, and the water. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes (batter will be thick). Stir in lime peel. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake about 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes (cake may sink slightly during cooling). Loosen cake from side of pan; remove side of pan. Using a wide metal spatula, transfer cake from bottom of pan to a wire rack. Cool completely (bottom of cake should be cool to the touch).
- Line an 11-inch round straight-side Dutch oven or storage container with plastic wrap, allowing wrap to hang over edge of pan. Using a long serrated knife, split cake in half horizontally. Place top half of cake, cut side up, in prepared Dutch oven. Top with strawberries. Place bottom half of cake, cut side down, on top of strawberries. Press down lightly.
- Using a long-tine fork or wooden skewer, poke holes in cake layers across entire surface. Slowly pour 4 cups of the Tres Leches Sauce over cake. Cover and chill cake for 8 to 24 hours; cover and chill remaining sauce for 8 to 24 hours.
- About 1 hour before serving, slowly pour 1 cup of remaining Tres Leches Sauce over cake. Cover and chill cake and remaining sauce until serving time.
- To serve, in a chilled large bowl combine whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
- Remove cake from refrigerator; uncover. Invert a serving platter with a rim or a cake stand upside down over Dutch oven; carefully turn serving platter and Dutch oven over together. Remove Dutch oven and plastic wrap. Dollop some of the whipped cream mixture atop cake, reserving remaining to pass with cake, or spread all the whipped cream mixture over top and side of cake (some of the sauce will seep out of cake as it stands). Serve immediately with remaining sauce.
From the Test Kitchen
If your springform pan does not have a tight fit, wrap the outside of the pan with foil.
Tres Leches Sauce
- In a large saucepan combine sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, and whole milk or whipping cream. Split vanilla bean in half lengthwise; add to milk mixture. Cook over medium heat just until boiling, stirring frequently. Transfer to a large bowl. Cover and cool completely. Remove vanilla bean; scrape bean and return seeds to cooled milk mixture. Makes about 7-1/2 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Tres Leches Cake)
- Per serving:
- 764 kcal ,
- 37 g fat
- (20 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 12 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 208 mg chol. ,
- 584 mg sodium ,
- 93 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 71 g sugar ,
- 16 g pro.