- In a 10-inch skillet heat oils over medium 10 to 15 minutes or until it reaches 350 degrees F. Meanwhile, in a large bowl toss together potatoes, onion, and 1/4 tsp. salt.
- Working in two batches, cook ham in hot oils 1 minute or until browned, carefully turning once (oil may splatter). Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Add pepper strips to skillet. Cook 2 minutes or until lightly browned and softened. Transfer to plate with ham.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Carefully add potato-onion mixture. Cook 15 minutes or until tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally. (If necessary, reduce heat to medium to prevent overbrowning.) Using a slotted spoon, transfer potato-onion mixture to a bowl. Drain all but 3 Tbsp. oil from skillet. Reheat oil in skillet over medium.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs and 1/4 tsp. salt. Stir in potato-onion mixture. Transfer to hot skillet. Cook 10 minutes, running a spatula around edge of skillet and lifting egg mixture so uncooked portion flows underneath. When bottom is browned but top is still slightly moist in center, invert onto a 12-inch plate. Using a wide spatula, slide back into skillet. Cook 5 minutes more or until browned. Invert onto a clean plate. Top with ham and peppers.
From the Test Kitchen
Because hot chile peppers, such as cubanelles, contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with chiles as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the chile peppers, wash your hands well with soap and water.
If you don't want to invert the omelette, preheat broiler and use a skillet that is broiler-safe. After cooking 10 minutes, broil the omelette 4 inches from the heat for 1 to 2 minutes until center is set. Serve omelette in the skillet.
Nutrition Facts (Tortilla Espanola)
- Per serving:
- 359 kcal ,
- 26 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 13 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 189 mg chol. ,
- 326 mg sodium ,
- 23 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 10 g pro.