Tortilla-Crusted Onion Strings
- In a food processor process chips, covered, until fine crumbs form (you should have about 1-3/4 cups). Add chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Pulse to combine. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- Cut onions in half through the root end and thinly slice into 1/4-inch-thick half-moons. Place onions in a large resealable plastic bag. Add cornstarch. Seal bag; toss to coat.
- Pour buttermilk into a medium bowl.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with paper towels; set aside. In a Dutch oven heat 2 inches oil to 375 degrees F.
- Dip 1/2 cup** of the onion pieces into buttermilk, letting excess buttermilk drip off. Coat in tortilla chip crumbs, shaking off extra crumbs. Using a slotted spoon, place onions in hot oil. Fry onions for 1 to 2 minutes or until crisp and golden. Using a slotted spoon or tongs, transfer onions to prepared baking sheet. Season with salt. Keep warm, uncovered, in the oven. Repeat with remaining onions. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
To make 2/3 cup sour milk, place 2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 2/3 cup total liquid; stir. Let stand for 5 minutes before using.
Don't add too many onions at once because oil will foam when onions are added.
Nutrition Facts (Tortilla-Crusted Onion Strings)
- Per serving:
- 321 kcal ,
- 23 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 7 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 11 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 1 mg chol. ,
- 270 mg sodium ,
- 25 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.