Tortilla-Crusted Chicken with Stewed Tomatoes and Corn
- In a small bowl stir together the 2 teaspoons chili powder, ground cumin, and salt. Rub both sides of chicken breast halves with the spice mixture.
- Cook chicken breast halves in a grill pan (or in a large skillet with 2 tablespoons olive oil) over medium-high heat for 12 to 15 minutes or until chicken is brown and no longer pink, turning once (170 degrees F).
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan combine the tomatoes, corn, 1 teaspoon chili powder, and cumin seed. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir in the whipping cream. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes more. Stir in the cilantro.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat 1-inch of oil over medium-high heat until hot. Cook the tortilla strips in hot oil about 1 minute or until golden brown. Using a slotted spoon remove strips from oil; drain on paper towels.
- Slice chicken. Serve chicken with tomato mixture. Top with tortilla strips or crushed tortilla chips. Sprinkle with queso fresco. If desired, serve with lime wedges.
From the Test Kitchen
Or skip step 4 and use 1 cup coarsely crushed tortilla chips
Nutrition Facts (Tortilla-Crusted Chicken with Stewed Tomatoes and Corn)
- Per serving:
- 286 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 90 mg chol. ,
- 608 mg sodium ,
- 13 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 25 g pro.
cneuhaus5 480 Days Ago
Mr Harris may be right about the chips, but this dish is a home run right out of the park---delicious & easy to make! I'd give it 6 stars if I could! The queso fresco really adds a mellow, exotic mild flavor. I used 1/3 cup cream instead of 1/4 because I thought sauce might be too spicy, but w/chips & cheese, it was great! To save another pan, I browned the chicken & then just added the other stuff as written to the same skillet, and cooked the chicken the rest of the way in the sauce.
Neal Harris 1611 Days Ago
I don't believe fried tortillas put on top of chicken constitutes "Crusted".