Tortilla-Chicken Skillet Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread tortilla strips in an even layer on two large baking sheets. Bake 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in an extra-large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, and oregano; cook about 3 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes and chipotle chile pepper(s) plus the 1 teaspoon adobo sauce. Bring to boiling; cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add broth; return to boiling. Simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Stir in cooked chicken and black pepper; heat.
- Set aside a few of the baked tortilla strips. Gradually stir the remaining tortilla strips into the chicken mixture; heat. Remove from heat; sprinkle with cheese. Top with cilantro sprigs and the reserved tortilla strips. In a bowl combine sour cream and milk; serve with the casserole.
From the Test Kitchen
Chile peppers contain oils that can irritate your skin eyes. Wear plastic or rubber gloves when working with them.
Skip Step 1 and use crushed tortilla chips or broken tostada pieces instead.
Nutrition Facts (Tortilla-Chicken Skillet Casserole)
- Per serving:
- 286 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 57 mg chol. ,
- 735 mg sodium ,
- 24 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 21 g pro.
cneuhaus5 275 Days Ago
5 stars, delicious & easy! Rather than cutting & baking tortilla strips, just use chips or broken tostada shells. Use 2 tsp chicken stock base or bouillon instead of broth for nicer thickness. The cheese gives it a different & yummy flavor. We serve on top of nacho chips rather than mixing all in.