Tortas Hamburguesas (Mexican Hamburgers)
- In a food processor combine bacon, onion, and garlic. Cover and pulse with several on/off turns until finely chopped. Transfer mixture to a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until bacon is completely cooked but not crispy, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Let bacon cool completely.
- In a large bowl stir together ground beef, bacon mixture (including drippings), the snipped cilantro, the lime juice, salt, and black pepper. Divide meat mixture into six portions. Shape each portion into a thin oblong patty slightly larger than the circumference of a hoagie roll. Cover and refrigerate patties for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- In a grill pan or an extra-large skillet cook patties over medium-high heat for 4 to 6 minutes, turning once halfway through cooking time. Remove from heat. Top each patty with a slice of the cheese.
- For sauce, in a small bowl stir together mayonnaise, ketchup, and smoked paprika. Generously spread sauce onto cut sides of the hoagie rolls. Layer hoagie roll bottoms with meat patties, avocados, tomatoes, lettuce, and cilantro sprigs. If desired, top with pickled jalapeno chile peppers and/or hot pepper sauce. Top with hoagie roll tops.
Nutrition Facts (Tortas Hamburguesas (Mexican Hamburgers))
- Per serving:
- 843 kcal ,
- 48 g fat
- (15 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 12 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 111 mg chol. ,
- 1476 mg sodium ,
- 65 g carb. ,
- 7 g fiber ,
- 15 g sugar ,
- 38 g pro.
Phil H 1328 Days Ago
I have made an attempt to make this recipe three times, with each result progressively worse than the last. I believe that there is a flaw in this recipe that prevents the burger from staying uniform, during the cooking process, and eventually falling to pieces. I believe that cooking the bacon mixture before adding it to the ground beef is part, or all, of the problem. I also think that adding the lime juice to the ground beef/bacon mixture may part of the issue as well. This recipe makes a fantastic sandwich, if you can keep the burgers from falling apart during cooking. If anyone has any tips feel free to submit them.