Tomato Juice Blend
- Wash tomatoes. Remove stem ends and cores; coarsely chop tomatoes.
- In an 8- or 10-quart stainless-steel, enamel, or nonstick heavy pot combine the tomatoes, celery, onion, carrot, and sweet pepper. Bring to boiling, stirring frequently; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 20 minutes or until tomatoes are soft, stirring frequently.
- Press tomato mixture through a food mill or sieve to extract juice (you should have about 15 cups juice). Discard solids. Return juice to the pot. Stir in salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon citric acid to each seven hot sterilized pint canning jars. Ladle hot juice into jars, leaving a 1/2-inch headspace. Wipe jar rims; adjust lids.
- Process filled jars in a boiling-water canner for 35 minutes (start timing when water returns to boil). Remove jars from canner; cool on wire racks.
From the Test Kitchen
Hot and Spicy Tomato Juice Blend:
Substitute finely chopped jalapeno, serrano, or other chile peppers (do not seed) for the red sweet pepper.
Nutrition Facts (Tomato Juice Blend)
- Per serving:
- 31 kcal ,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 0 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 259 mg sodium ,
- 7 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.