- In a large bowl cut butter into flour with a pastry blender until pieces are pea-size. Stir in Parmesan and cracked pepper.*
- Sprinkle 1 Tbsp. of cold water over part of the flour mixture; toss with a a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat, using 1 Tbsp. water at a time, until all of the dough is moistened. Form dough into a disk, wrap with plastic wrap and chill at least 30 minutes or until easy to handle (up to 24 hours).
- Slice the tomatoes about 1/4 inch thick and arrange on a wire rack over a baking pan, sink, or paper towels. Sprinkle with salt; let stand 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 13-inch circle. (Don't worry if it's not perfectly round.) Fold in half and transfer to parchment-lined baking sheet; unfold pastry.
- Evenly spread bread crumbs on pastry, leaving about a 2-inch border. Layer tomatoes, shallots, thyme, and goat cheese on bread crumbs. Fold crust over filling, pleating as necessary and leaving some filling exposed in center. Combine egg and 1 Tbsp. water; brush over edges of pastry.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until crust is browned and crisp. Cool on a wire rack at least 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature, topped with fresh basil (snipped if leaves are large).
From the Test Kitchen
*Food Processor Method
The first step can be done in the food processor. Place steel blade in food processor bowl; add flour and butter. Cover and process with on/off turns until pieces are pea-size. Add Parmesan and pepper; process with on/off turns just until combined. Transfer to bowl and continue as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Tomato Galette)
- Per serving:
- 300 kcal ,
- 18 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 67 mg chol. ,
- 414 mg sodium ,
- 26 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 9 g pro.