Toasted Wild Rice Griddle Cakes
- In a medium heavy saucepan bring the water to boiling. Stir in rice; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 40 to 50 minutes or just until rice begins to split; drain.
- Add butter, salt, and crushed red pepper. Cook and stir over medium-high heat 6 minutes or until rice is toasted and has a nutty aroma. Stir in fennel, onion, and carrot. Remove from heat. Stir in bread crumbs and cheese; cool 10 minutes. Stir in eggs until combined. If desired, cover and chill up to 6 hours. Stir before using.
- For griddle cakes, in an extra-large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add batter, using 3 Tbsp. for each cake; spread to 3 inches. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until bottoms are crisp and brown. Turn and cook 2 to 3 minutes more or until bottoms are brown. Keep warm in a 200 degrees F oven while cooking remaining cakes. Add additional oil as needed to cook cakes.
- In a small bowl combine sour cream and mustard. Serve griddle cakes with sour cream mixture and, if desired, top with microgreens.
From the Test Kitchen
Serve alongside roasted meats or lightly dressed mixed greens. Top with chopped roasted red pepper, finely chopped red onion, thin shards of fennel, shredded Parmesan, and/or sour cream as an appetizer or party snack.
Nutrition Facts (Toasted Wild Rice Griddle Cakes)
- Per serving:
- 94 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 29 mg chol. ,
- 207 mg sodium ,
- 10 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.