Three-Cheese Beer Soup
- Allow sharp cheddar cheese and white cheddar cheese to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a 4-quart Dutch oven heat butter over medium heat until melted. Add 1/2 cup onion, carrot, green onions, and garlic. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in flour and dry mustard (mixture will be thick). Add broth all at once. Cook and stir until bubbly. Add beer and cream; stir in potatoes and broccoli. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Gradually stir in sharp cheddar cheese and white cheddar cheese, stirring after each addition until cheeses are melted. Stir in bacon, Parmesan cheese, hot pepper sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour soup into a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker with a car adapter.
- Tightly cover slow cooker and tote in an insulated carrier. At the tailgating site, plug slow cooker into car adapter and keep soup warm on warm-heat setting. (Soup will keep warm, covered, on warm-heat setting for up to 3 hours.) Stir before serving.
From the Test Kitchen
Must-have tailgating equipment:
3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker with a car adapter Insulated carrier
Prepare as above through Step 3, but do not pour soup into a slow cooker. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts (Three-Cheese Beer Soup)
- Per serving:
- 390 kcal ,
- 29 g fat
- (17 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 90 mg chol. ,
- 964 mg sodium ,
- 16 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 15 g pro.