Thai BBQ Beef Skewers
- Preheat broiler. Trim fat from meat. Cut meat across the grain into long thin strips. Place meat strips in a large bowl. In a small bowl combine coriander, ginger, garlic powder, and cumin. Sprinkle spice mixture, half at a time, over meat, tossing to coat.
- On four 8- to 10-inch skewers,* thread sweet peppers and shallots to within 2 to 3 inches of the ends of skewers, leaving 1/4 inch between pieces. On eight 8- to 10-inch skewers, thread meat strips, accordion-style.
- Place vegetable skewers on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 5 to 6 inches from the heat for 2 minutes. Add meat skewers to broiler pan next to vegetable skewers. Broil for 6 minutes more, turning all of the skewers once halfway through broiling. Remove from broiler.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, in a small saucepan combine vinegar, mango nectar, soy sauce, chile bean sauce, and cornstarch. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Transfer half of the sauce to a small serving bowl; set aside.
- Thread mango onto the ends of vegetable skewers. Brush meat and vegetable skewers with the remaining sauce in saucepan. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes more or until meat is slightly pink in center and vegetables are crisp-tender. Sprinkle skewers with basil and/or cilantro. Serve with the reserved sauce.
From the Test Kitchen
If using wooden skewers, soak in water for at least 30 minutes; drain before using.
Nutrition Facts (Thai BBQ Beef Skewers)
- Per serving:
- 311 kcal ,
- 16 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 77 mg chol. ,
- 625 mg sodium ,
- 17 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 12 g sugar ,
- 25 g pro.