Tex-Mex Chili Dogs
The day before:
- In a large skillet cook ground meat, onion, and sweet pepper over medium heat until meat is brown and onion is tender, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Drain off fat.
- Stir enchilada sauce, salsa, pickled chile peppers, and mustard into meat mixture. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally; cool slightly. Transfer meat mixture to a storage container; cover and chill overnight.
- Arrange frankfurters in the bottom of a 3- to 4-quart slow cooker with a car adapter. Top with meat mixture. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 3 hours or on high-heat setting for 1 1/2 hours.
- Tightly cover slow cooker and tote in an insulated carrier. If desired, tote desired toppings in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
- At the tailgating site, plug slow cooker into car adapter and keep frankfurters and meat mixture warm on warm-heat setting. Using tongs, transfer franks from slow cooker to buns. Spoon meat mixture over franks.** Top with toppings.
From the Test Kitchen
Serve any remaining meat mixture with tortilla chips for dipping.
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
3- to 4-quart slow cooker with a car adapter
Insulated cooler with ice packs (optional)
Nutrition Facts (Tex-Mex Chili Dogs)
- Per serving:
- 374 kcal ,
- 22 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 10 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 49 mg chol. ,
- 1057 mg sodium ,
- 26 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 16 g pro.