Tequila-Spiked Apple Empanadas
- Prepare Pastry for a Double-Crust Pie. Divide each ball into 8 portions. Form portions into balls. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease two large baking sheets; set aside. Remove 1/2 tsp. zest and squeeze 2 Tbsp. juice from lime.
- In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add apples; cook 5 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally. Stir in brown sugar and cinnamon; cook 1 minute more. Carefully add lime juice and 3 Tbsp. tequila. Simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes or until liquid is slightly thickened and apples are tender.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll or press each pastry ball into a 4-inch circle. Spoon 1 Tbsp. apple mixture onto each circle just below center. Fold bottom edge of circle over filling; seal edges with a fork. Place empanadas on prepared baking sheets; prick tops with fork. Combine egg and the water; brush over empanadas. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden.
- In a small bowl combine powdered sugar, 1 tsp. tequila, and cayenne pepper. Stir in enough of the milk to reach drizzling consistency. Drizzle over empanadas and sprinkle with lime zest.
Pastry for a Double-Crust Pie
- In a large bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening and butter until pieces are pea size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the ice water over part of the flour mixture; toss gently with a fork. Push moistened pastry to the side of the bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, using 1 tablespoon of the ice water at a time, until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Gather flour mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together. Divide pastry in half; form halves into balls.
Nutrition Facts (Tequila-Spiked Apple Empanadas)
- Per serving:
- 243 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 25 mg chol. ,
- 193 mg sodium ,
- 30 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 14 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.
jbuskland1 94 Days Ago
These empanadas were tasty except that there wasn't enough filling and therefore doughy. I used 2 large gala app,es that were more than 2 cups. I'm going to make again today but double the amount of apples to be sure there is plenty of filling when you bite in. Also better to chop apples in smaller chunks.
jessicageo8617715 346 Days Ago
has anyone tried this with frozen or refrigerated pastry sheets?