Dried Fruit Tart with Almond Crust
- Prepare and chill Almond Pastry. If desired, prepare Sugared Orange Peel.
- Preheat oven to 450 F. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten the dough. Working from the center, roll dough into an 11-inch circle. Wrap dough circle around rolling pin. Unroll into an ungreased 9-inch tart pan that has a removable bottom. Ease dough circle into tart pan, being careful not to stretch dough. Press dough into the fluted side of tart pan. Trim edge. Line dough with a double thickness of foil. Bake for 5 minutes; remove foil. Bake about 5 minutes more or until pastry edge is light brown. Transfer tart pan to a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 350 F.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, ricotta cheese, egg, and sugar; beat with an electric mixer until combined. Stir in shredded orange peel. Spread into partially baked crust. To prevent overbrowning, cover pastry edge with foil.
- Bake about 15 minutes or until filling edge is slightly puffed and center is set. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, place dried fruit in a small bowl. Add the boiling water. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes. Drain well. In a saucepan, heat and stir red currant jam over low heat until melted. Stir in dried fruit mixture and almonds.
- To serve, remove side of tart pan. Spread fruit mixture over cooled tart. If desired, garnish with sugared orange peel. Cut into wedges.
From the Test Kitchen
To Bake Ahead:
Prepare, bake, and cool as directed through step 4. Cover with plastic wrap. Chill for up to 3 days. To serve, prepare fruit layer and assemble as directed in step 5.
Sugared Orange Peel
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove the peel from orange in thin strips. In a saucepan, bring water and sugar to boiling. Add peel. Simmer for 15 minutes; drain. On waxed paper or foil, spread peel in a single layer; sprinkle peel with sanding sugar. Let dry before using.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Place almonds in a shallow baking pan. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted, stirring occasionally. Let cool. Place almonds in a food processor or blender. Cover and process or blend until finely ground. In a medium bowl, stir together the ground almonds, flour, sugar, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in cold butter until the pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon milk over part of the flour mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, adding 1 tablespoon additional milk at a time, until all the flour mixture is moistened. Form dough into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap; chill about 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.