Apple Walnut Tart
- For pastry, beat the 1/2 cup butter or margarine with an electric mixer on medium speed 30 seconds. Add the 1/2 cup sugar; beat on medium speed 4 minutes or until fluffy. Add 1 egg yolk; beat for 1 minute on low speed. Add the 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon vanilla, the lemon peel, and salt; beat until combined (mixture will be crumbly).
- Thinly slice apples; place in a large skillet. Add 1/4 cup water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 5 minutes or until tender. Drain well; set aside.
- For the filling, stir together 1/2 cup flour, the almonds, and baking powder; set aside. In a medium mixing bowl, beat the 5 tablespoons margarine and the 1/3 cup sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed. Slowly beat in almond paste, a small piece at a time, until smooth. Add cinnamon and 1 teaspoon vanilla; beat until a paste forms. Add whole eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each. Beat in 2 egg yolks. Stir in flour mixture. In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; fold into batter.
- Press the pastry onto bottom and 2 inches up sides of a 9-inch springform pan. Snip large fruit pieces in jam. Spread half of the melted jam over pastry. Pour filling into pan. Arrange cooked apples over filling until it is completely covered with the apple slices. Drizzle with melted margarine; sprinkle with the 1 tablespoon sugar. Sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- Bake in a 325 degree F oven 60 to 65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 1-1/2 hours. Remove sides of springform pan; transfer tart to a serving platter. Drizzle the remaining melted apricot jam over the tart. Makes 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare Tart Pastry. Press into pan; cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Facts (Apple Walnut Tart)
- Per serving:
- 421 kcal ,
- 24 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat ,
- 124 mg chol. ,
- 195 mg sodium ,
- 48 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 7 g pro.