Apple Tart with Cheddar Cheese Crust
- For pastry, place a shredding disk in the bowl of a food processor. With machine running, push cheese and butter through feed tube to shred. (Or shred cheese and butter by hand.) Remove mixture from food processor. Replace shredding disk with a steel blade. Add the 2-2/3 cups flour, 1/4 cup sugar, the salt, and cheese mixture to food processor. Cover and process with on/off pulses until mixture is combined. Add the ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, processing with on/off pulses just until mixture forms a dough. Shape into a flat disk. Cover pastry with plastic wrap and chill about 1 hour or until pastry is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry from center to edges into a circle 16 inches in diameter. Wrap pastry circle around the rolling pin. Unroll it onto the prepared baking sheet. (Pastry will hang over edges of baking sheet.)
- In a very large bowl, combine 1/4 cup sugar, the 2 tablespoons flour, and the cinnamon. Add apple wedges and lemon juice; toss gently to coat.
- Mound apple mixture in center of pastry, leaving the outer 3 inches uncovered. Fold uncovered pastry over the filling, pleating pastry as necessary to create a round tart. Sprinkle with Cheddar Crumb Topping.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until apples are tender and pastry is golden brown. If necessary, cover loosely with foil during the last 10 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning. If desired, serve with vanilla ice cream. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare pastry and chill up to 24 hours. Let stand at room temperature if too firm to roll out. Prepare Cheddar Crumb Topping. Place in a storage container; cover and chill up to 24 hours.
Cheddar Crumb Topping
- In a medium bowl, stir together sugar, flour, and a pinch of salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Gently stir in cheese (1 ounce).