Tandoori-Spiced Chicken Pita Crisps with Cilantro Sauce
- For marinade, in a food processor combine yogurt, onion, lime juice, ginger, garlic, turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, the coriander, cumin, pepper, and cinnamon. Cover and process until smooth. Transfer marinade to a medium bowl. Trim fat from chicken. Add chicken to marinade; toss to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 4 hours, stirring once or twice.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut pita bread rounds in half horizontally; cut each half into six wedges, making 48 wedges total. In a large bowl combine pita wedges, 2 tablespoons of the oil, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; toss to coat. Spread wedges on a baking sheet. Bake about 20 minutes or until crisp, turning twice.
- Meanwhile, remove chicken from marinade, scraping off excess. Cut chicken crosswise into thin slices. In a large skillet heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook and stir about 5 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove from heat. Using the edge of a metal spatula, break chicken into bite-size pieces.
- To serve, place a small amount of chicken on each pita wedge. Top with a small spoonful of Cilantro Sauce. If desired, garnish with cilantro leaves.
From the Test Kitchen
To simplify the recipe, use store-bought pita chips instead of making your own, or skip baking the pita wedges.
- In a food processor combine cilantro, cashews, lime juice, oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, serrano pepper, and cumin. Cover and process until smooth.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Tandoori-Spiced Chicken Pita Crisps with Cilantro Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 210 kcal ,
- 11 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 54 mg chol. ,
- 470 mg sodium ,
- 13 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 14 g pro.