Tacos al Pastor
- In a large bowl combine pork, roasted garlic, cumin, oregano, minced pineapple, salt, annatto, and black pepper. Shape meat mixture into eight 3/4-inch-thick patties.
- For a charcoal or gas grill, place patties and pineapple slices on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium heat. Grill patties for 14 to 18 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into center of each patty registers 160 degrees F; turn once halfway through grilling time. Grill pineapple slices for 6 to 8 minutes or until grill marks form, turning once halfway through grilling time.
- Let patties stand for 5 minutes. Using a very sharp knife, thinly slice meat (meat will crumble sllghtly) and chop pineapple slices. Serve meat and pineapple on double layers of corn tortillas. Serve with Salsa Aguacate, Chipotle Crema, onion, and cilantro. If desired, serve with lime wedges.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Salsa de Aguacate
- Preheat broiler. Place tomatillo on a broiler pan. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat for about 10 minutes or until soft and lightly charred, turning once.
- In a blender or food processor combine tomatillo, avocado, onion, garlic, habanero and salt. Cover and blend or process until smooth.
From the Test Kitchen
Because hot chile peppers, such as habaneros, contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with chiles as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the chile peppers, wash your hands well with soap and water.
- In a small bowl stir together crema and chipotle until combined.
Nutrition Facts (Tacos al Pastor)
- Per serving:
- 519 kcal ,
- 34 g fat
- (13 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 14 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 102 mg chol. ,
- 466 mg sodium ,
- 32 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 23 g pro.