- Cut dried peppers open; discard stems and seeds. Place peppers in a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Let stand for 30 minutes to soften. Drain well. Cut peppers into small pieces; set aside.
- Meanwhile, remove skin from chicken. In a 4-quart Dutch oven cook chicken in hot oil over medium heat about 10 minutes or until lightly browned, turning to brown evenly on all sides.
- Trim fat from pork; cut pork into 3/4-inch cubes. Remove chicken from Dutch oven, reserving drippings in Dutch oven. Set chicken aside. Brown pork cubes in hot drippings in Dutch oven. Drain pork well, discarding drippings. Return chicken pieces and pork cubes to Dutch oven.
- In a blender or food processor combine pepper pieces, tomatoes, onion, garlic, oregano, salt, black pepper, cinnamon, and cloves. Cover and blend or process until smooth.
- Stir pepper mixture and chicken broth into Dutch oven with chicken and pork. Bring to boiling. Stir in plantain (if using bananas, do not add yet). Reduce heat and simmer, covered, over low heat for 20 minutes. Skim off fat. Stir in sweet potato cubes. Cover and simmer about 25 minutes more or until sweet potato is tender.
- Stir in apple and pear slices. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes more. Stir in pineapple chunks (if using bananas, add them now). Cover and heat through.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare stew as directed, except don't add fruit. Cover and chill for up to 24 hours. To serve, bring stew to boiling; reduce heat. Add apple and pear slices. Continue as directed above.
Nutrition Facts (Tablecloth-Stainer Stew)
- Per serving:
- 403 kcal ,
- 13 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 102 mg chol. ,
- 526 mg sodium ,
- 37 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 35 g pro.