Szechuan Slaw with Tofu
- Line a shallow baking pan with several layers of paper towels. Drain tofu; cut into 1/2-inch slices. Place tofu in the prepared baking pan. Place another layer of paper towels on top of tofu; cover with a baking sheet. Weight down by adding 3 or 4 cans of food to baking sheet; chill for 30 minutes. Transfer slices to a cutting board; cut into 1-inch pieces.
- In a large nonstick skillet heat sesame oil over medium-high heat. Add tofu; cook for 4 to 6 minutes or until golden and crisp, turning once. Remove tofu from skillet.
- For dressing, in a blender or food processor combine teriyaki sauce, vinegar, canola oil, and peanut butter spread. Cover and blend or process until smooth.
- In a large bowl combine green cabbage, napa cabbage, sweet pepper, red cabbage, carrots, green onions, and cilantro. Add dressing; toss well to coat. Add tofu; toss gently to combine.
From the Test Kitchen
*To Serve Salad in Cabbage "Cups:"
Before slicing the napa cabbage, remove 6 of the outer leaves from cabbage. Rinse the napa cabbage leaves and pat dry with paper towels; chill until needed. To serve, spoon the tofu mixture into cabbage leaf "cups."
Nutrition analysis per serving: 177 calories, 14 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 8 g total sugar, 118% Vitamin A, 314 mg sodium, 8% calcium, 10% iron
To Serve Salad with Rice:
Divide the tofu mixture among dinner plates. Serve with 2 cups cooked black or brown rice.**
Nutrition analysis per serving: same as above except 244 calories, 10 g protein, 28 g carbohydrate, 11 g total fat, 4 g fiber, 313 mg sodium, 8% calcium, 11% iron
You can find black rice in most Asian specialty stores.
vegetarian, lower carb
Nutrition Facts (Szechuan Slaw with Tofu)
- Per serving:
- 172 kcal ,
- 10 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 310 mg sodium ,
- 13 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 8 g pro.